Wednesday, April 21, 2010

So What Is It?

My photography assignment for this week was to take abstract pictures.  What the heck is abstract photography?  My first thought was objects really close up.  Right?  Isn't that what you picture too? My teacher described it as images in which you can't really tell what it is. Sounded easy enough.

I was in San Francisco this past weekend, so I thought it was a perfect opportunity to take abstract pictures.  Well, turns out.  The assignment wasn't so easy.  I was wandering downtown San Francisco and didn't know what I was doing.  I took pictures of buildings and structures.  I wasn't sure if they were abstract.  When I came home, I took some random pictures of stuff in my house.  Still didn't know if I got it right or not.

I was eager to see everyone's work at class last night. However, the teacher who gave us this assignment didn't show up, and his co-teacher wasn't entirely sure what we were supposed to do or even what qualified as abstract.  We looked at picture after picture, and he didn't think most of them could be considered abstract..

So let's play a game. My photos are below.  What are they pictures of?  And which ones do you think qualified as abstract?


Answers:
1) Loose sequins - not abstract
2) Side of a building with reflection of the building across the street - abstract
3) My new flip flops - abstract
4) Cork coasters - not abstract

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the sequins one. Even though it's not abstract, it's pretty. :)
And your flipflops I had no idea what they were! :)
Good job, doesn't sound very easy!
love, Malou

Laura said...

Haha I guessed the building was abstract. Wasn't quite sure about the flip flops and coasters.

But I think even those are pushing the boundaries between abstract and not abstract. I think you just have to have no idea what the thing is and focus in on line, color, shape, etc?

Miss Mayhem said...

Abstract sounded like taking "dirty" pictures to me. I'm glad I didn't get that assignment! Who knows waht I would've came to class with! :P

Tina said...

I like your pictures. You're getting good at it. Now make me beautiful! hehe.

Miss Mayhem said...

I have an award for you on my blog!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I like those! I think they turned out great.

Tara said...

Thanks, guys!! I'll continue to shoot what I think is abstract. Maybe I'll make it a weekly game. Haha! What is it?? Is it abstract? Who knows??

Gemma said...

I was completely baffled by the building picture- i just sat here confused and staring at the screen until i realised the answers were below...

nice blog btw!

-www.save-your-bacon.blogspot.com