Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Teenage 4-Year-Old

The other night as my daughters and I were lying in bed. Carmen, my first born, was reading us a story. My younger vicarious daughter, Rachel, says, "Mommy." (Pausing like she wanted to announce something and wanted my full attention.) I say, "Yes, Rachel." She announces, "My name is Macy. For real, my name is Macy." Appalled I say, "Okay...what does that mean?" Rachel says, "You can call me Macy." She left me sputtering, but I counter with, "No, your name is Rachel." And fortunately that was that.

But it left me wondering what will she be like when she's older and a difficult teenager, because mark my words, I know without a doubt she will be a difficult teenager. One day, she'll come home outfitted in black, in her usual gothwear, and she'll announce with all seriousness, "Tina...(because by this time, she'll no longer acknowledge me as a maternal figure)...I will no longer answer to the common name Rachel. From now on I am reborn in darkness as Achlys. I expect you to honor my wishes." And again she'll leave me sputtering, but my words will go unheeded. Sigh... If only I were kidding...

Update: Rachel just told me again, "My name is Macy. No seriously, my name is Macy." I am so awestruck. First that she even remembered and that...that...what is up with that?!? She's only four!!!

8 comments:

Tara said...

That girl is trouble...no matter what age. Hehe. But it's okay. Carmen the more sensible one will somehow look out for her. Like I looked out for you mischievous younger sisters. =p

Tara said...

Why do your posts have two titles? I changed it. Sorry. I can't help it.

Laura said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

She's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

lol!! reborn in darkness... I always thought that I definitely wanted a little girl. But I didn't think of those scary teenage years. And how does one even say "Achlys"?!

Kate said...

That is so cute!!

Vanessa said...

So, your daughter wants to be named after Macy Gray? Or the store 'Macy's'? Either way, Tina, good luck with that :oP I see the same thing with my niece, Leanne. My whole family agrees that she will be a terror as a teenager.

Jen said...

She will not be a terror. She will test you along the way but she will be fine in the end. That is cute, but I would tell her she can have her little friends call her any name she wishes but you are her mother and will call her by the name you gave her.

Goth will be so yesterday when she gets to be a teenager. She'll come home in something so off-the-wall we can't imagine it yet. She will still be okay, though, and you can tell her again that she can dress in nothing but purple, declare herself Moon Goddess, and demand the rest of her minions call her anything she likes but you are her mother and nine months of hosting her within your body gives you the right to call her by her given name.

Tara said...

Jen, I hope you're right for my sister's sake! Scary to imagine what kind of crazy teenager Rachel is going to grow up to be. Hehe. Or maybe she'll just get the crazy out now, and she'll be the most straight laced kid we know. ;)