Sunday, April 26, 2009

17 Again

I was traveling this week and had a lot of time to kill before my red-eye. So I decided to do something I've never ever done before in my life. Watch a movie by myself. Insanity!! From the title of this post, you could guess what I chose to watch. When I saw the 17 Again commercials, I have to admit that I actually wanted to see it. There is something about Zac Efron that makes him...not hatable. Do you know what I mean? He was in High School Musical for goodness' sake...I was meant to dislike the franchise and him. But I don't hate him and find that I actually really like him. After watching 17 Again, I think he is a legitimate actor who will definitely go places.

There is something about body switching or father becomes son or mother becomes daughter movies (whatever you want to call it) that are timeless. That is why they keep making them...Big, Freaky Friday, Vice Versa and Like Father Like Son. People may think the concept is dumb, and it is. What makes them work are the actors who make something so ridiculous seem believable.

The same goes for 17 Again. Zac Efron really seemed like an adult trapped in a teenager's body. His speech about safe sex was really funny. His interaction with his ex-wife who is 20 years his senior wasn't creepy at all. He said and did things that his older self would have said and done. It made perfect sense that he really was 37 years old but looked like a teenager. This movie was hilarious but, at the same time, heartwarming.

So you should watch it! Anyone would enjoy this movie, even boys. I was sitting in front of these guys (no girls in the group) who obviously liked the movie. They were laughing really loud like every few minutes. It was really annoying. But aside from that, I enjoyed my movie going experience by myself.

Update 4/27/09: This is a picture of Matthew Perry when he was young. It is not totally unimaginable that he looked like Zac Efron when he was younger. Am I right? No?

7 comments:

Laura said...

You're practically a pedophile!

Announcement: Tara has agreed to REWATCH the film with me!

Tara said...

I looked up his age. He's legal...21, baby!

Vanessa said...

When reading this blog, I like to read the posts first, without looking at who wrote it, to see if I can predict the author. I had this one pegged as Laura's post.. but hey, if i can have underage crushes (wait, 18 is legal right?) then so can you, Tara.

Laura said...

How is Matthew Perry an older version of Zac Effron?!

Tara said...

Vanessa, you and I are cradle robbers! Should we start a club?

Cass said...

thank you for reminding me of two of my favorite movies from the late 80/early 90s!!! haha, Like Father Like Son--i loved Kirk Cameron so much, and Dudley Moore is hilarious!

did you see Zac Efron on SNL a few weeks ago?

Tara said...

You're welcome.

No, I missed Zac Efron on SNL. Was he any good? You should take Joe to watch 17 Again. Haha!