Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Old Movie Marathon

Last night at 10:30p, I started my own movie marathon. (Yes, I was very tired this morning.) I have always wanted to look back at older movies that I have never seen or haven't seen in a while. Of course, I hadn't planned on a marathon on a weeknight and certainly not when I started either. I was flipping through the movie channels and started off in the middle of True Romance with Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette. It came out in 1993 when Christian Slater was actually a bigger star than Brad Pitt who played a random pot head in the movie. Pretty funny. I have to say that Patricia Arquette was great in it. Then I moved on to The Terminator, a 1984 movie. I don't remember a thing from it, so it was like new to me. Linda Hamilton's hair and clothes were hilarious, and the effects were funny.

After that, it was getting late, sometime around midnight. My husband had already fallen asleep by this point. I was about to go to bed, but I flipped through and saw a movie with Mickey Rourke called 9 1/2 Weeks. I just wanted to see what he looked like when he was younger. Really! For the first ten minutes, I was waiting for him to come on screen. All I saw was Kim Basinger and this really hot guy. Then I realized that hot guy was Mickey Rourke. I had no idea! Then I finished the entire movie. Ahh! I finally went to bed at 1am.

I could not get over how hot both Kim Basinger and Mickey Rourke were back then. If you didn't know, Mickey Rourke recently came back into the spotlight because of his role in The Wrestler with Marisa Tomei. He looks completely different, and it is apparent that he had some plastic surgery done. I was curious about what happened, so I looked it up today. In the 1990s, he went into boxing for a few years. He received many injuries, especially to his face. Supposedly, his plastic surgeon didn't do a great job reconstructing his face. After he went back into acting in the mid-90s, everyone said he was unrecognizable. That is a shame because he used to be so cute.

My impromptu movie marathon was really fun. I think everyone should do an old movie marathon. I would totally do it again, but next time I'll actually watch each of the movies from the beginning and at a reasonable hour.

No comments: