Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Scallion Pancakes

I decided to make scallion pancakes for my husband and me. People call it the Chinese pizza although it is nothing like a pizza. It is a multi-layer pancake that is savory and full of scallions. I made four pancakes and a huge mess! I had flour and oil everywhere. So it wasn't worth all the effort to make so little and for only the two of us. So I suggest making a whole bunch for your family or when you have people over. Also, you need dipping sauce to eat scallion pancakes. You can either buy dumpling sauce already bottled or make your own. For the dipping sauce, you simply mix soy sauce, sugar, vinegar and sesame oil to fit your taste. The recipe below only makes four pancakes, so adjust accordingly.

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup sliced scallions
3 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 cup canola oil
Salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a bowl, sift flour. Slowly add boiled water in a steady stream while mixing with a wooden spoon. Use your hands to knead into a ball. Let dough ball relax (covered with damp cloth) for about 30 minutes.
2. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a thin rectangle. Make sure the surface is thoroughly floured, so the dough won't stick to it--otherwise, you'll have to start all over.
3. Brush on oil mixture, cover with scallion and season with salt and pepper.
4. Start at one end (lengthwise) and carefully roll dough like a sponge cake.
5. Cut into 4 equal pieces. Take one piece and twist 3 times (like wringing a towel). Make a spiral out of this -- like a snail's shell. Roll out and flatten to achieve a 5 to 6 inch pancake. Do this for each piece.
6. In a hot non-stick pan, coat with canola oil and pan sear both sides until golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve immediately with dipping sauce.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that an actual picture? Looks good, make me some please.

Tara said...

Haha! No, it's not an actual picture. But I swear that my pancakes look exactly like that. Really! And I would make you some if I knew who you were.

Laura said...

OH NOOOO! ANOTHER RECIPE!!! AHHHHH!!

Stop driving away our readers with your shenanigans, Tara!

Haha, just kidding. I love you.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous is me, so when you making me some :), Kalani and Alyssa loves them too.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kings!! I can make them for you any time! I'll be happy to. I like to treat our readers really well. ;)