Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Developing Allergies as an Adult

It really sucks. That about sums up what I feel that this topic. Last year, out of nowhere, I developed allergies to my mother-in-law's cat. I remember the exact day it happened. I was lying in bed in my husband's old room where the cat apparently likes to take naps. I started having trouble breathing and then noticed that I had a rash all over my face. Now, the allergies have gotten to a point where I get every symptom imaginable--wheezing, sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes. I can't stay in my mother-in-law's house for more than a few hours. If she has the heat or air condition turned on, I can't bear it for more than 15 minutes. I know what you are thinking--I am just trying to find an excuse to not visit my in-laws. Yuck it up. But it really is the worse feeling ever.

Now I've learned that I am officially allergic to soy milk. I feel really nauseous after drinking even a little. I've always loved soy milk. Now I can't have any. All I can think about is what else am I going to develop allergies to. I read that allergies are usually inherited. My dad was allergic to dogs and cats, and my brother is allergic to soy. That explains it. Well, good-bye, cats (never really liked them anyway). So long, wonderfully delicious soy milk.

Here is some information about allergies:
- Allergies can develop at any age.
- Genetics play a role. If one of your parents has allergies, then you have a one in three chance of developing allergies too.
- Age is also a factor in developing allergies. People may develop allergies over time after repeated exposure to certain allergens.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Dear Abby,
I would like to address the following issues:
1. If you're allergic to cats, do you think that makes it a higher chance you're allergic to dogs?
2. I think that I would be allergic to cats also if I were exposed to them that much..(My friend invited me to sleepover her house where she has a bunch of cats.)
3. You have a grammatical error in your post. I will withhold specifics so that you will be forced to waste time looking for it. (muhaha)
4. I love you. the end.

Tara said...

You are evil. Now I will be reading it and rereading it until I find that darn grammatical error. Diabolical!

Tara said...

Found it!!! Time: less than one minute. Booyah!

Laura said...

HAHAHA Nope. Guess you found a different one. The one I'm talking about is still up there. muhahaha.

Laura said...

PS. you didn't answer any of my questions. I thought you were a wealth of knowledge.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm developing allergies to my wife...