Don't get me wrong. I love Heroes. What is not to love? Superheroes and supervillains with awesome powers! A fight between good and evil. It's every geek's fantasy. But the writers really effed up this season!
They started off the season with a big concept--the reversal of good and evil. It was pretty ambitious, and things started to get screwy really fast. Characters became annoying and useless, e.g., Mohinder, Claire, Peter without powers and Hiro. The time traveling thing was just confusing. Then finally the creator admitted that they've gotten sidetracked this season and wants to get back to where the show was in the beginning, which means they want to take it all back! Literally. It's like the beginning of the season didn't happen at all. But they didn't do a good job of covering it up. It is just plain obvious.
- The big reveal of the season was that Sylar was actually Nathan and Peter's brother! Wow! Peter learned this when he went into the future and met Sylar or actually Gabriel. Gabriel was a family man and was cooking at home with his son, and he called Peter "brother." Now the writers want to take it all back. But how? It turned out that Mrs. Petrelli lied to Sylar. The kicker is that Mr. Petrelli lied to him too. That doesn't make any sense because Mr. and Mrs. Petrelli were not in cahoots. Neither one knew the other lied. This is what pisses me off the most. This big "lie" also disregards the whole alternate future seen by Peter. Ugh!
- They brought Mr. Petrelli back from the dead, only to kill him off immediately. What was the point? He was just too powerful and couldn't live anymore. He takes people's powers away by touching them. So basically any hero is useless against him. Mr. Petrelli was alive long enough to take Peter and Hiro's powers away and did nothing else that is relevant now.
- They made Sylar a good guy and then suddenly back to being evil. He had this quick love affair with Elle. He even learned how to take people's powers without killing them. He obtained Elle's powers that way, and she even taught him how to use it. But suddenly he was back to being evil again and killed Elle for no reason! He did the head cutting thing to her. But why would he do that if he already has her powers? The writers just wanted him to be evil again while killing off Elle.
- Hiro has no powers now! What? His ability to time travel was screwing everything up in the beginning. So how do they fix it? He can't time travel anymore. But being Hiro, he still believes that it is his destiny to save the world. Huh? How, buddy, how? I love Hiro...but he is getting annoying.
- HRG is in line with Nathan Petrelli. Why? Because he is doing everything to protect Claire. That same old story again! BORRRRINNNG.
- Peter got his powers back, but they've changed. He can only hold one person's power at a time. And he can only get it by touching them. Before he would just have to be close to them. He was just as powerful as Sylar. Now the show wants the good guys to be fugitives. They can't be fugitives if they are too powerful. So they either killed them off or took away their powers.
There are more but just too many things to list! As you can see, they didn't make a smooth transition at all. Everything that happened in the first half of the season is completely irrelevant.