Saturday, February 28, 2009

Wristcutters: A Love Story

In this film, the main characters are played by Patrick Fugit and Shannyn Sossamon (one of Tara's favorites). The movie takes place in a land where all suicides go after they die. It's a little like purgatory, in that it's completely like earth only with less people, and it's not terrible but not great. However, there is one punishing fact about this place. No one is able to smile.

Other than the setting, there is no other crazy, fantastical aspects of the film. It's actually very normal, everything else. The goal of the main character is to find his ex-girlfriend, which leads to a very long road trip where they meet Mikal (Sossamon). I thought the movie was very cute and quirky. It's a funny mix of comedy, romance, drama, and fantasy all rolled in one. Although I was able to somewhat predict the ending, I still thought the movie was good. It did get a little slow in the middle there, but it picked up after a while.I left the movie thinking that suicide wasn't as big a deal as I came into it thinking. Haha, I know how morbid that sounds.

So go watch the movie! I give it a solid 4 stars!

1 comment:

Tara said...

That is morbid, but the movie sounds kinda neat. I think I'll watch it, Laura. Plus I totally love Shannyn Sossamon!