Sunday, September 6, 2009

Catching Fire

If you haven't read The Hunger Games by Susan Collins, do so immediately and then read part 2, Catching Fire. I have been waiting in anticipation for this book for months. The second book was released on Sept. 1, and I finished it on Sept. 2.

Even though I liked them both, Catching Fire was not nearly as satisfying as The Hunger Games. It really was a tough act to follow. The first book introduces you to this new world and these interesting characters. That newness is no longer there in Catching Fire, and thus the magic was lost a bit. That being said, I still like the book. If I didn't, I wouldn't have read it in two days. I mean, there was no way I was going to hate it because I loved The Hunger Games.

I can't write about Catching Fire without spoilers. So turn away now if you don't want to know the ending of the first book. The book starts where The Hunger Games leaves off. Katniss and Peeta have returned to District 12 as victors. However, Katniss's act of defiance did not go unnoticed. She unknowingly becomes a symbol of hope for the people of the districts and a target of the Capitol. Even though the Hunger Games is over, it is just the beginning. The Capitol will stop at nothing to maintain its power and control. However, Katniss will do everything in her power to protect the people she loves. The girl on fire must defy the Capitol once more and thwart their plans to destroy her.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Okay, okay! I'll read it asap. I don't know. Haven't found a dull moment yet. :P