Thursday, September 3, 2009

Me...But Better

I did something crazy last year. Something I swore I would never do since I was in 5th grade. I got bangs! Insanity! Laura said it was the best decision I ever made. However, it wasn't an impulsive decision. I am never impulsive or spontaneous. I plan. I am a planner. Ask anyone. Also, it takes me a long long time to make a big change. Yes, bangs was a big deal to me, all right?!

Growing up, Tina was the more impulsive one. If she got an idea in her head, she would act on it immediately. Tina had to convince me to make even the smallest of changes. I always resisted. We used to wear these huge plastic glasses (either in pink, orange or red), which I was totally content with. Nooo, but not Tina. She wanted to change to wire frames instead. Even though she was absolutely right, I resisted. She had to coax me. She had me try on a few. She complimented me. (The she-devil knows my weaknesses!) She eventually persuaded me. After I got used to the wire frames, she wanted to get rid of them altogether and get contacts. What! But I was completely content with my humongous glasses.

When I was in high school, I got the idea to chop off my long hair. I thought about it for months. I mulled it over. I even drew myself with the hairstyle to see what it looked like. (We didn't have those fancy computer programs in those days.) Then suddenly, one day, Tina said she wanted a cute boy cut. The following day, she got it. But but...I wanted to cut my hair first! Finally, after several months, I bit the bullet and cut my hair. Honestly, she looked way better with her boy cut. (It doesn't matter that we are identical twins. Just trust me.) I immediately started growing mine back.

So a couple years ago, I thought of breaking my vow and cutting my bangs. As you would have guessed, I didn't do it right away. I thought and thought about it. I pictured myself with bangs. Laura styled my hair to see what it would look like. Then I thought about it some more. I began with baby steps. I wanted side swept bangs, so I changed my part from the middle to the side. I've had the same part forever. I even have a tan line there. When I changed my part, it was new, exciting and scary for me. It was amusing to my sisters. After a few months of hair in my face, I went to get my bangs cut. I was scared. I told the hair dresser so. She was sympathetic. So she took it slow and gave me long bangs. And she only cut a little. At the end, she thanked me for allowing her to go through this journey with me. Her. actual. words.

Afterward, I didn't look much different. Less hair in my face. But basically the same. That wasn't so bad, I thought. Then months later, I took the plunge. "Just cut it off," I said. So my hair dresser did. And here I am...with bangs. That was my very long journey to my bang-ful life. Oh, what a journey.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Now I must blog about my much more exciting hair journey!

Basically it goes: Hm, I want bangs!! BAM, bangs. Hm, I want curly hair!! BAM, perm. That's how i do.

Vanessa said...

I'm having blog deja vu. I feel like I've read this entry before (maybe I'm thinking of our real life conversations)
I'm a wuss compared to all of you. I think I've told about 5 hairdressers over the past few years that I will come back the next visit and get my bangs cut. Yeah, it never happened.

Tina said...

This post pretty much sums up Tara's personality. HA! A little obsessive compulsive, a little neurotic, a little centophobic (fear of new things,) and a little chaetophobic (fear of hair). Yes, those are real words. hehe. I looked them up.