Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Don't Tell My In-Laws

Psst...I have a secret. Come closer. *in a hushed tone* I did not change my last name when I got married. Eek! If my in-laws knew, they would not be pleased. Of course, I didn't even think of them when I decided not to change my last name (for now). My decision was for me...not for anyone else. And my wonderful husband is not pushy about it although he has voiced his opinion. I only recently found out that my in-laws even cared about it. Huz told me that his mother and grandmother mentioned how they were happy I changed my last name. And Huz being a very smart person didn't correct them. Haha!

Here is another confession that is kinda embarrassing. When I first started dating Huz, I doodled "Mrs. Huz" everywhere. Admittedly, if we married when I was in my early twenties, I would probably be Mrs. Huz now. However, as time went on and as I basically grew up, I was less and less inclined to change my last name. I love my last name. It is an important part of me. And I don't think it is fair that, because I am a woman, I have to give it up. Men will never understand how hard it is.

Right now, there is really no reason for me to change my last name. Huz says I should change it because it'll just be easier especially when we have kids. I see his point. I would like to have the same name as my kids. So I told him that, when we have kids, I'll revisit this issue. I am also considering whether his last name will be my middle name or my last name will be my middle name. Dilemma, dilemma.

11 comments:

Laura said...

I think you should take the Huz's name.

Tara said...

Traitor!!!

Kim said...

ahhhh...to take or not take the Huz's name. it always seems to be an issue. i chose to take my Huz's name as a sign of commitment to him...but understand where you are coming from. and i think it's your decision to make, not anybody else's...so your secret is safe with me. ;)

Tina said...

I changed my name for my children, but oftentimes I wished that I didn't have too. My husband's last name is such a typical Chinese last name, too. My maiden name was more unique.

Tina said...

Yay! I have a little face next to my comment. There it goes again. Yay!!!

Cass said...

i love my name, too. it means a lot to me. i have 2 sisters and growing up we were always known as "the cross sisters" and after they got married and changed their names i felt really sad! i am the only cross sister left. :( but i still think of them with their *real* names. hee hee.

Kate said...

Which name sounds nicer? I think it is really up to the woman - a lot of my friends have gone for double surnames or adopting it as an extra middle name. Kate x

Tara said...

Kim--Two words. Commitment schmitment. Haha! Jk. Isn't it enough that we marry them?

Cassie--Your name is way cooler. ;) And you don't know how many times I forget that Tina changed her name, and it's been 8 (I think) years!

Tina--You never noticed the face icon because you are a butt! It's been there for weeks. =p And you would have noticed if you commented...like ever. Anyway, you should have kept our name. It is so much cooler especially because you are a teacher.

Kate--Trust me. My name is a lot nicer. I may take his name as my middle name. Not sure yet.

Vanessa said...

So, actually it is your HUZ's fault for waiting so long to propose. Otherwize you would be Mrs. Huz right now.

Tara said...

Hehe. It's like I am punishing him.

SarahHub said...

I had been married about eight months or so when the issue came up for my husband and me. I changed everything legally, got a new driver's license, etc. But I didn't change it at work. I had been there for 7 years and no one knew me by my new name. So I kept it.

One day, my husband left me a voicemail message and casually mentioned at the end of the message that I had forgotten to change my last name on my voicemail. When I called him back, I explained that I wasn't changing my last name at work. He replied "Oh, okay. When I'm at work then, I'll just tell people you're my girlfriend."

I started hyphenating that day!