Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Recurring Dreams

I know you probably hate hearing about other people's dreams. I am not a big fan either. I have to really like you to sit there and listen to it. Like all dreams go, they make no sense and don't have an ending. I mean, people have to wake up some time. But I can't help but think "that's it!" Plus dreams are really only interesting to the person who had the dream. Am I right?

Huz loves to tell me about his dreams. Good thing I love him. So I listen, and often times, they are convoluted and really really really friggin' long. Usually with him, I think "wait, that's NOT it!" Add that to the fact that this usually happens in the morning when I am getting ready to go to work and am about to be late. Anyway, I'll try to spare you the Huz-style explanation of my dreams.

So I had one of my recurring dreams last night. In the dream, my turtle tank is filled with fish and other turtles. I put a baby shark in it too, and I realize my mistake when it ate another fish. I panic and run around the house looking for another container for the shark before he eats everything in the tank. By the time I find one, the tank is empty except for my turtle and the shark. Somehow, my turtle survives and is perched on his rock safe and sound. What does this mean? I have various versions of this dream. It's like I am really worried about my turtle or something...like he'll die on me. Weird, I know.

After I had this dream, I started thinking about my other recurring dreams. For instance, I sometimes dream that I am swimming in the deep ocean, and I am usually lost with no way back to land. The sea is dark and usually filled with creatures. Once I dreamt a killer whale was circling me. Another dream I have a lot is one where a lion is chasing me through my house. I just looked up what lions mean in dreams. It says: "To dream that you are attacked by a lion, indicates that you have many obstacles to overcome." Hmmm...okay.

(After adding all the images, I realized my weird dreams include a lot of animals. What's wrong with me? At first glance, this looks like a post about wild life. Hehe.)

Why do people have recurring dreams anyway? Pretty strange. Mine are really specific too. According to this website, recurring dreams reveal important information about yourself or problems that come back again and again that must be confronted and resolved. Interesting. I wonder what I am trying to tell myself. Don't get your turtle eaten or you will regret it. Will not put sharks in tank. Check. Thanks, self...you are so wise.

Anyway, I am interested in hearing about other people's recurring dreams. So spill it.

8 comments:

SarahHub said...

I don't really have any recurring dreams now. But when I was a child I did. Basically, my brother and I are swinging on a swing set, and a bear comes out of the woods. (We didn't even live by the woods.) My brother always used to jump off swings, and he did so in my dream - right into the bear's mouth. And that was it.

Now, I wonder what that means about my childhood?

Kim said...

after a year and a half of being awakened every couple hours (you'll know what i mean when you have kids), I'm finally starting to dream again...so i'll get back to you when they start recurring!

Laura said...

Haha. I'm a pretty laid back. I don't really have weird dreams that involve scary animals or flying or anything fantasy-ish. Mine are usually pretty normal and involve my real life. Kinda boring actually.

BUT i did have a dream in a dream in a dream before! It was so weird! I woke up in my dream before i woke up in real life. Freakkkyyyy.

Tara said...

Thanks for sharing! Yeah, maybe I just worry too much, like Laura said.

Laura was joking with me earlier and commented that I have crazy dreams because I worry that my turtle may die. What kind of crazy dreams will I get when I have to take care of something bigger...like kids? Haha! I don't wanna know.

Tina said...

Hey, you never told me about your recurring turtle dream. I don't have many recurring dreams now, but when I was younger I did. One I had was somebody was chasing me through a parking lot and I'll hide under cars. That was scary. And I think I also had the lion chasing me around the house recurring dream too. Weird, but I guess not that weird since we're twins. Thanks for the great blogs Tara!!!

Tara said...

You dream about lions too?!? The weird thing is that it always happens at the old house. And I didn't have this dream that long ago either...maybe even this year.

Huz said...

Wierdest dream (not recurring, so it's actually not really on topic...) I ever had is my "hoagie shoe" dream. It's night time and dark everywhere. A clown slowly floats down from the sky and his feet fit into a pair of hoagies. Once in his hoagie shoes, he chases after me with a knife. Freakiest dream of all time...

Tara said...

THIS is what I have to live with, people!!