Friday, December 4, 2009

Lady Gaga's Monster Ball

I saw Lady Gaga in concert, and it was...interesting. Actually that's an understatement. She is a pretty peculiar woman. Her style is famously unique. As are her music, videos, and performances...and what I learned that night, her fans.

I went with my co-worker and asked her what I should wear to the concert. She wasn't planning on wearing anything special. Because we were going straight from work, she said she was going to wear whatever she wore to work that day. So I did the same.

Boy, did I ever feel out of place! We realized our mistake once we got to the venue. We saw young girls all hooched out. They were wearing super short skirts with 5-inch heels. We saw lots of sequence, skin tight dresses, and teeny tiny shorts all night. Never mind that it was the middle of winter.

Then picture me. In my long sleeve blue cardigan, scarf, black tights and uggs. Add that to the fact that we were more mature when most of the audience. Okay, older! You happy? People probably thought I took a wrong turn on my way to a teacher's conference. (No offense, Tina.)

The concert started at 7:30p, but Lady Gaga didn't come out until 9:45p. So I did a lot of people watching. Our seats were right by the entrance and the walkway where we could see everyone coming and going. I have to say, that was the best part. We also saw girls dressed like Lady Gaga. The whole nine. Someone actually wore the red lace dress that Lady Gaga wore to the VMAs. That was impressive. There were also platinum blond wigs, sunglasses, body suits...and tiny hats! I secretly wished I had one. Why didn't I think of that!?

The show finally started, and there was a whole lot of screaming going on. I almost went deaf. The show was definitely entertaining. She didn't lip sync, which is commendable since the days of Britney Spears and Ashley Simpson. And she even danced the entire time. Her transitions between songs and outfit changes were again interesting. At one time, a video of her was projected on the stage. In the video, she was posing in a beautiful gown. Next to her was a girl vomiting all over her. They kept replaying it, and it made me want to vomit. Ack.

Besides the gag reflex, I was dancing and having a good time. Then I noticed a guy dancing right next to me. He was a tall black guy in heels, a body suit, tiny shorts, and fish net stockings. He didn't hold anything back! He was dancing to the left and then to the right. He went down and then up. He did kicks and almost friggin' kicked me in the face. His high-heel boot was literally a couple inches from my face. He was an amazing dancer though. I had to force myself to look away and actually watch the show.

I forgot to bring my camera. I only had my blackberry. This is the best picture I could get. =p

4 comments:

Vanessa said...

The more strange she gets, the more I like her! And her songs (which she writes herself) are all earworms (they dig inside your brain):oP

Anonymous said...

You ladies are far more brave than I!! I'm equal parts scared of and fascinated by Gaga. And would probably be the same way with her fans.

Tara said...

Well, I definitely didn't know what I was in for. Haha.

Louise said...

I first saw Lady Gaga performs live last year, and I haven't stopped talking about that experience yet!! : lol: Over the years, I've had the good fortune to see her many times, Lady Gaga and her shows improve with each new tour! I'm gonna attend her concert again since I can compare and get cheap tickets from Ticketwood.com; so I can save some dollars to the next concert ...I’m so excited!!
http://www.ticketwood.com/concerts/Lady-Gaga-Tickets/index.php